Wireless mouse not working

Molly_Don 17:10 07 Aug 2010

Hi

My wireless mouse in not working.

When I booted the desktop up, once loaded the mouse pointer was static in the middle of the screen and wouldn't move, I changed the batteries and rebooted, still nothing, I've purchased a new wireless mouse, installed it and even that's not working and I now can't see the mouse pointer.

It's an Acer desktop running windows XP Virgin BB.

If it helps, I updated Open Office this week, when closing OO it kept crashing, the last time I used the computer was yesterday, as I was about to shut it down OO crashed again before shutting down.

Any suggestions please?

mooly 17:23 07 Aug 2010

Worth trying system restore ?
click here

Molly_Don 17:45 07 Aug 2010

Hi mooly

How do I get to click on system restore as the mouse doen't work, I've tried a wired mouse and that doesn't work either.

mooly 17:57 07 Aug 2010

That's a good question :)

Can you use the "windows" key and arrow keys to get into anything.

Molly_Don 18:18 07 Aug 2010

OK, I've managed to get a restore point up (Not sure how I done it) but i'm stck again, how do I select a previous restore point as the arrow keys don't work (sorry if I sound thick)

mooly 18:23 07 Aug 2010

Another thought... not good news... is that the problem may be malware related or a rootkit virus.

If so a reinstall would be the only sure fix option I fear but you would lose everything.
You do back up your data etc I hope.

Acers have a recovery partiton, or you may have burned or been supplied with recovery discs.

mooly 18:30 07 Aug 2010

Can't just think of anything... and I appreciate the problem... it's just dificult without actually sitting in front of it.

How did you move the cursor to select a restore point.

Maybe someone else has ideas on this...

Molly_Don 18:30 07 Aug 2010

I've backed up until 4 weeks ago, I was going to back up this weekend, I have the recovery discs for the acer desktop, if the only option is for me to do a reinstall, that's what I'll have to do I guess.

Thanks mooly for all your help.

Molly_Don 18:33 07 Aug 2010

How did you move the cursor to select a restore point.

I used the windows and arrows key to get into system restore, but nothing happens now when I press the windows or arrow key.

mooly 18:37 07 Aug 2010

Only other thing I can think of is something called last known good configuration,

click here

accessed by pressing F8 at boot up.

rdave13 18:38 07 Aug 2010

Try the tab key. That sometimes allows the cursor to move to another part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?