Wireless mouse eating batteries

GileyD 21:22 13 Jun 2006

My new HP pc came with a wireless keyboard and mouse which is really useful. However the two AA batteries the mouse came with only lasted about a month, and the cheapy pound shop specials we replaced them with have lasted less than a week!!

Looks like I'll have to start using rechargeables, but are wireless mice in general heavy on battery power? My wife does work from home and I surf a lot in the evening so the pc in question is probably being used for about 5 hours a day on average.

Danoh 01:26 14 Jun 2006

Yes, much more then the wireless keyboard.
Every movement of the mouse uses power, not just clicking on icons.
Change to 2000+ maH rechargeables a.s.a.p. before the bank manager calls :-)

E.g. click here or click here

chub_tor 12:11 15 Jun 2006

Some time ago I switched to the Microsoft Wireles Intellimouse which guarantees a minimum of 6 months battery life click here inpractise I haven't changed the batteries (generic alkalines)in over a year.

Danoh 12:54 16 Jun 2006

I have the Notebook version of the same MS mouse ~ has smarts to turn down/off the optical sensors when not in use.
So not all wireless mouse are the same.
Depends if that is sufficient for GilleyD to justify a new purchase or just get rechargeables for the current set.

GileyD 19:28 16 Jun 2006

I have a fair few sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger anyway as they're needed for cameras, kids toys etc, so I'll just start using them.

At least I know it's not a fault with my mouse!!

wky 12:09 17 Jun 2006

I used wireless mice for a year and just decided to use wired as i will never have to buy batteries again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?