Wireless modem beginners question

sharpeyes 11:14 03 Sep 2008

A question from an idiot here. I have been sent a Thomson TG585 wireless modem by Tisacli. My computer is not wireless capable.
1). What does the modem do/allow me to do?
2). What do I need to connect to computer or other devices if that is possible?

ambra4 11:24 03 Sep 2008
  ambra4 11:55 03 Sep 2008

How are you connected to you present modem USB or Ethernet cable

If there is no need for wireless access you can disable it in the router

sharpeyes 11:59 03 Sep 2008

ADSL modem connected by USB.

sharpeyes 12:04 03 Sep 2008

Ok so I can connect the PC to the internet wirelssly also printer and scanner to PC wirelessly with this.
What do I need to do that? A USB wireless adaptor for each or what?

ambra4 12:40 03 Sep 2008

Just remove the USB modem and connect the phone line to the RJ11 connector on the unit.

Connect an Ethernet cable from port 1 to the LAN card port on the PC

If you are not sure if the setting on you PC is set correct check this posting

click here

You now have to access the router and set it up to allow you access to your ISP and the Internet

Read the manual on how to access and set-up the router

Once you have access to the router use the following setting

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

Firewall: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

sharpeyes 13:31 03 Sep 2008

And that will set up Pc, scanner and printer wirelessly without having to purchase extra items such as wireless adaptors?

BobTroll 14:32 15 Sep 2008

The TG585 can function as a wired OR as a wireless modem. You are not obliged to use any of its wireless capabilities.

The cardboard box that contains the modem contains everything needed to establish a wired connection. It follows that if you are happy to use the TG585 as a wired modem AND your computer has an Ethernet connection port, you won't need to purchase any additional equipment.

However, if you want to use the Thomson TG585 as a wireless router, your computer MUST provide wireless capability. You have stated that your computer does not have wireless capability, so you would need to purchase and install a wireless networking card OR a USB wireless adaptor.

PC World and other computer retailers sell USB wireless adaptors. Alternatively, you could purchase one from Tiscali at click here.

Turning to the installation of the TG585, you must decide from the outset whether you require a wired or wireless connection. If you require a wireless connection, you should install the wireless networking card or USB wireless adaptor on your computer, BEFORE you install the modem.

Then, you merely follow the step by step instructions in the letter that Tiscali sent to you with the modem / router.

Basically, you insert the installation CD in the CD or DVD drive of your computer. The CD runs an installation wizard and you should follow the on-screen prompts. Towards the end of the process, the wizard will enquire whether you want to use the TG585 as a wireless or wired connection. Once you have selected one of these options, the wizard will configure the modem automatically. You shouldn't need to do anything more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie