wireless losing connection

cableguy2005 13:55 02 Oct 2008

Hi,
I am running vista on a new sony vw11 laptop and have been having wireless connection problems. as in it just keeps dropping off then coming back on.
i have tried 3 different laptops and still have the same problem so i know its not a computer related problem. (yes the wireless switch is on!) i have had my internet service provider (virgin) run checks and they said i had a weak connection so they came and installed a new modem as it was really old (ntl). i have also upgraded my router from a cheap buffalo one (had no problems with this before) - the one i am now using is belkin and is brand new.
virgin say its a router problem because i can connect hardwired with a ethernet cable but the problem is when i try to connect wireless. it just keeps loosing connection. i recently tried to download itunes 8 and the download kept stopping. i paused and resumed and it would carry on a little then stop again. sometimes rebooting the modem or pc works temp.
i am using a private network and it connects to this ok but just says 'local only' in the bottom right of the screen. so annoying!
any ideas welcome
thanks

Halmer 13:59 02 Oct 2008

to 1 in the router configuration and it works OK now.

Halmer 14:17 02 Oct 2008
  cableguy2005 15:20 02 Oct 2008

thanks halmer i will try this when i get home from work and then update the posting
cheers

woodchip 15:26 02 Oct 2008

Are you running on battery when this happens?

cableguy2005 16:52 02 Oct 2008

battery or plugged in it makes no odds

cableguy2005 19:06 02 Oct 2008

Halmer, nice one dude, that worked.

Halmer 19:29 02 Oct 2008

good outcome well done.

cableguy2005 08:42 03 Oct 2008

man, i cant believe it, after like 10 hours of fast and full connection, the wireless has dropped off again. the diagnostic says that the signal is too weak. should i try another port or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks :(

woodchip 12:14 03 Oct 2008

As I said above if you are just running on Battery when it does it, Check out Network Adapter in Device Manager is not set to Power Saving mode

cableguy2005 12:42 21 Oct 2008

thats for the postings.
i changed the setting so its not in power saving mode and all is well. thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?