Wireless link keeps dropping out

So Simple 22:15 19 Feb 2007

I've looked at loads of similar issues regarding this problem, but can't seem to resolve it.

I'm using a 3com wireless router and Dell E520 pc with belkin wireless adapter.

For some reason I cannot figure, every so often (couple of times a day) the wireless connection drops, then usually restarts within a few minutes. If it doesn't, rebooting the router solves it.

I've tried all sorts, including changing the ancient master socket and using a different wireless adapter but it still happens.

For an unrelated reason, I looked at my online usage bill and the trend is for the link to drop on exactly 5 minutes - scratching my head and only getting splinters with this!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

D.G,E 22:33 19 Feb 2007

I get the same problem with my web and walk internet conection throught my nokia N70 that connects through wireless bluetooth normaly i have to reset the phone and laptop.

For me it happens about 1 hour or 3o min's then the connection and phone crashes out.

I would say for wireless it might be that your using to many connections through one access point if you have more pc's connected to the network.

I would check if the berklin site has a updated driver that could resove the issue.

Or check if there's anythink blocking the signal.

Hope this helps.

Technotiger 23:11 19 Feb 2007

Hi, just a thought, probably a stupid one, but - do you have a Screensaver running which might cause the interruption ... or ... Are your Power Option settings in Control Panel causing it.

Cymro. 10:55 20 Feb 2007

I have the same problem but with a BT system.

There was a posting on this forum some time ago that said that you should not have both the MS and the BT wireless connection system running at the same time.

The suggestion was that the two systems would conflict with each other and so lead to a loss of connection.

I am a bit of a novice at all this so can`t be of more help.

The one who posted the above suggestion may come back to us and explain more about it.

D.G,E 00:31 24 Feb 2007

Have you though of changing your router that could be the problem not the wireless device.
And check your signal strength.

Other wise phone your ISP company and tell them the problem it could be there service etc.

Technotiger 09:44 24 Feb 2007

Another possibility which might sound silly. but - have you got central heating/boiler/freezer or similar items working on automatic - has been known to affect network connections, so worth checking.

Technotiger 09:46 24 Feb 2007

Also make sure that you do have adsl micro-filters on all phone inlets in the house.

Technotiger 10:22 24 Feb 2007

Me again - another simple point sometimes not thought off, is the actual position of the router. Should not be too near any large metal objects, or close to pc monitor or speakers. Also, especially when using wireless network, the higher up the router is the better - ie, above head-hight is better than at normal desktop level.

Technotiger 20:15 24 Feb 2007

Some more very interesting comments, solution wise, here ...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017