wireless for laptop

xppckid 10:00 01 Sep 2008

Hi, i got a new laptop for my sister and she wants to use wireless connection, the acer 5315 says it is set up to use wireless, we wanted some info on routers, is netgear a top brand, she only wants it for looking at web,email, not for downloading, she will watch videos ,youtube etc, when a router gives a mbps speed what would be best for her, they seem to go from 54mbps up to 270mbps, shes on talktalk and gets around 1.5mb coming through her line, does the router increase the speed or will it be the same, hope you can help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:34 01 Sep 2008

click here

best she'll get for wireless is
54mbs on the standard g at the moment
unless she plumbs for a draft n router but her wireless card will also have to be draft n to get the higher speed.

54mbs is the limit she'll never reach that speed with wireless anyway.

ambra4 15:00 01 Sep 2008

Take a look at these ADSL2+ Modem/Router

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL2/2+ Gateway Router

click here

cocteau48 17:19 01 Sep 2008

Although your Acer says it is set up to use wireless if may not be turned on by default.
There may be a switch on the laptop or it may require a combination of keys to be pressed to activate the WLAN facility.
Consult your manual to find out.
I am on TalkTalk and using a BelkinG get 3.5Mb both through the line and on the lappy at the other end of the house (typical modern house with few solid walls)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?