Wireless Lan USB 2.0 Adaptor 54 mbps dongle

peter99co 13:00 24 Sep 2009

I have installed this on an XP PC Tower and it finds and connects (after a password for WEP) and shows connected and excellent signal strength.

The problem is when asked to find Google or any other link it fails with a message unable to find server.

The wireless router is ok and the laptop I am currently using is connecting properly and all other equipment connected to the router is working.

What am I missing? I turned off the PC's firewall and checked and repaired the connection. The PC has worked on a dongle (before) and as far as I know no changes have been made.

mgmcc 13:48 24 Sep 2009

Check that the "Wireless Network Connection" has obtained its correct addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers) by DHCP from the Router.

Do this by running IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window and the IP address should almost certainly be a 192.168.x.x address or, possibly, a 10.x.x.x address.

If you have a "169.254" address, then you probably haven't connected properly to the wireless network and Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing). This won't let you access either the Router or the internet.

peter99co 13:56 24 Sep 2009

I will check this out thank you.

peter99co 14:08 24 Sep 2009

I had checked the IP's and they looked ok but the IPCONFIG/ALL did the trick.

All connected and updated now.

peter99co 19:49 15 Feb 2010

I have DNS (server) error 12007 with no HTTP HTTPS or FTP connection.

I used the ipconfig/all again but this did not work this time.

I have tried (on pc advisor advice) to winsock reset catalog and made connection but I was not sure which worked.

Now neither work and although I still have good wireless connection at 54 mbps I cannot get an internet connection.

peter99co 20:06 15 Feb 2010

I think I should post a new thread as this is ticked resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?