wireless lan driver for sony vaio PCG-5B1M

ened 16:48 25 Nov 2009

I have a friend who has re-formatted the Hard Drive on a Vaio - model no.: PCG-5B1M

Obviously it is quite old but he is preparing it for a 'silver surfer' as a taster and intro.

He can't get the wireless to work and I am guessing he needs the correct driver.

The trouble is I can't find one.

I don't know much about the specific hardware but is it possible a driver from another model might do the trick?

mooly 17:16 25 Nov 2009

You say the HDD has been formatted.
Is there not a full factory restore option (from a hidden partition) that would reinstall the OS and all drivers to bring it all back to "day 1" condition.

ened 17:27 25 Nov 2009

I don't think so.

I am forty miles away so I can't immediately verify it for myself but I believe he formatted the whole thing and stuck XP Home on it (originally it had XP pro).

As far as I am aware it is his daughter's old work machine and there are no discs either.

The whole idea is to do this as cheaply as possible and he has the whole thing running except the wireless.

ened 17:41 25 Nov 2009

I called him and he formatted the whole thing including removing partitions.

reply4reply 10:49 26 Nov 2009

everest free edition

this tool will tell you the card's model number and somtimes even where to download it from.

give us the wireless lan details from everest
and then we can talk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?