wireless to LAN connection

Systemaxpc 17:57 22 Oct 2008

My son has a three year old MESH tower computer which he wants to take to University. Although the computer has wireless capability that works well enough at home it needs a LAN connection at the University. The problem is the computers LAN connection does not work, if we plug the LAN lead in it just recycles Windows constantly. According to MESH I need a new Motherboard as that is where the LAN circuitry is.
I was woundering is it possible to get a form of wireless Modem that we can plug into the LAN socket at the University that can talk to the MESH computer?

setecio 18:45 22 Oct 2008

You should be able to disable the onboard LAN port in the BIOS and then install a pci ethernet card.

mgmcc 20:13 22 Oct 2008

<<<< I was wondering is it possible to get a form of wireless Modem that we can plug into the LAN socket at the University that can talk to the MESH computer? >>>>

You could actually plug a "Wireless Access Point" or a wireless "Cable/DSL Router" into the university's LAN port and connect to that, although a PCI or USB "wired" ethernet adapter would be a less expensive option.

Systemaxpc 17:23 23 Oct 2008

Disabling the onboard LAN and installing a PCI ethernet card cured the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?