Wireless keyboard and mouse on USB port

Gongoozler 16:47 11 Feb 2007

Hi folks - my reputation as the local PC fixer is at stake. A friend asked me reformat his hard drive and reinstall Windows XP because the computer was getting troublesome, and to fit a USB2 card. His motherboard is an elderly Syntax SV266A which uses the VIA KT266A chipset. This is known to be somewhat troublesome in USB operation, which is why I suggested the NEC USB2 card. All appears to be working well except that of all the USB ports available - 4USB1 ports on the motherboard rear panel, 4 USB2 ports on the PCI card, 1 USB1 port on the case front from the motherboard and 1 USB2 port on the case front from the PCI card internal connector, his Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 will only work on the front panel USB1 port. I wouldn't have been surprised if only one set of ports worked or none of them, but for only one to work effectively rules out either a hardware or driver problem. Any ideas will be very welcome.

Stuartli 16:53 11 Feb 2007

Check out click here for advice and potential links to USB driver downloads.

Gongoozler 20:07 11 Feb 2007

Hi Stuartli. Thanks for the reply. I don't know what USB drivers would help. I installed the latest recommended VIA motherboard drivers for the KT266A chipset and the latest version of Intellipoint and Intellitype for the mouse and keyboard. Also, surely if it was a driver issue none of the USB ports would work with the Optical Desktop 1000. I tested several of the USB ports with a USB flash drive.

Gongoozler 08:45 12 Feb 2007

I have advised the owner of the computer to try new batteries and if that doesn't help to try changing the channel. I doubt that either will help but can't think of any other ideas yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?