wireless keyboard and mouse problem

wolfie3000 05:33 20 Jul 2006

I had a wireless keyboard and mouse bought for me a while back and every thing was fine until i found out how many batteries the mouse gets through, Im on my 7th set :(

This is costing me a fortune the keyboard batteries are the ones i put in when i got the set so why does the mouse consume more power?

Also is there a way of making the mouse not use as much juice?

I know i could buy rechargables this is something im looking into,

Also is there any way of operating on the mouse so i can run it straight from the usb or mouse socket?

Taff™ 07:42 20 Jul 2006

The mouse consuming more batteries than the keyboard? My Logitech is the other way round. Rechargables is the only way to go. £10 for a charger including 4 AA batteries = job sorted.

BT 07:54 20 Jul 2006

Seems too be a common fault of wireless meece(!)
Mine gets through batteries at a rate of knots. It uses 2xAAA so I have 6 rechargeables and change them as necessary then charge 4 at a time.

BT 07:55 20 Jul 2006

Seems to be a common fault of wireless meece(!)
Mine gets through batteries at a rate of knots. It uses 2xAAA so I have 6 rechargeables and change them as necessary then charge 4 at a time.

wolfie3000 07:57 20 Jul 2006

Currently using my spare ball mouse eeeeuch!!!

So is there any way of prolonging the life of the batteries in my mouse?

Taff™ 08:22 20 Jul 2006

Some wireless desksets actually turn themselves off after a period of inactivity. If yours is on all the time the only thin I can suggest is removing the batteries. Have you downloaded the software for the mouse - it may have a power saving feature.

wolfie3000 08:25 20 Jul 2006

My mouse does power down after a bit of inactivity and i have the mouse software installed.

keef66 08:54 20 Jul 2006

There are some wireless mice which sit in a docking station and recharge themselves between uses. Never tried one and presumably they cost more.

ArrGee 09:52 20 Jul 2006

This may sound odd, but worth considering. Is your mouse on a solid desk/table? If not, whilst you are not using the pc, just walking near it could set it to start detecting. I had this problem a while ago when living in a flat near a road of thundering buses! Each time a bus went by, the detection light on the mouse turned on!

teletoter 21:04 24 Oct 2006

Some wireless mice can be turned off by holding down the scroll wheel and pressing the reset button on the bottom. To turn on again simply press the reset button.

Stuartli 21:27 24 Oct 2006

Wireless keyboards aren't too hard on batteries, but the mouse does, especially optical versions presumably because of the light.

I use 2300mAh rechargeables in both and the keyboard lasts for eight to 10 weeks and the mouse about five to six weeks; use is several hours a day for both items.

Using standard alkaline batteries or even Duralites would cost a fortune because of their much shorter working life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?