wireless issue and firewall settings

pookie 12:31 11 Oct 2010

Hi all

Windows XP SP3. Avg, spyware blaster, malwarebytes plus pc tools firewall (windows firewall disabled).

I have a wireless modem router which is up to date and always worked fine. Over the weekend the wireless part stopped (wireless pc, ipod touch and all wifi devices can 'see' the router, and either not connect or else connect to the router but not the internet although sometimes says connection is out of range) but pc works via cable to router ok.

I have a feeling the kids may have installed something/allowed something on as they play online games. Could they have done something that affected the ingoing/outgoing ports ie something to block wireless devices accessing router and/or internet? I have, via cable, connected to modem router and settings etc look normal and security settings are still ok.

I have done a reset of the modem router to factory settings and set up password etc again but still no good.

Any ideas and what could be blocking the wireless devices connecting to the web even though they can find and connect to the wireless modem router?

Many thanks

P

Woolwell 15:00 11 Oct 2010

Which router?
If PC connected by cable and get internet then it indicates that problem could well lie with router.

pookie 18:10 11 Oct 2010

many thanks - it's a Belkin N150

pookie 12:18 13 Oct 2010

Hi

As an update I called TalkTalk and I had already done everything they suggested. I searched online and I unscrewed the BT phone wall socket and plugged the modem router directly to the socket inside and lo and behold it worked both wired and wireless. The inside of the wall socket was very dirty so after cleaning it and then plugging the modem router back in as normal it's been fine.

One issue though. My wireless devices and pc (using old 54Mbps adaptor) are detecting and connecting to my old 54Mbps modem router and internet works. But if I unplug the 54 modem router and put in my 150N modem router and use the N150 adaptor in the pc now no wireless devices can bring up web pages. It's almost as if the phoneline only supports 54Mbps now. Speedtests when using the 54Mbps bring up 4.5Mb download whereas the n150 used to bring up 6+Mbps.

Help please in getting the N150 to work again!! I have tried factory sets etc, it has lastest firmware etc.

Cheers

P

Woolwell 19:27 13 Oct 2010

The phone line probably isn't the issue now.
If you connect the N15) to the line and connect a system by ethernet cable to it can you then get on-line.
Did you set up the N150 again after the factory reset with wireless passwords and your ISP settings, etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?