wireless internet wont work on laptop

Helpimsoconfused 16:01 04 Apr 2006

someone recently bought me a laptop with wireless internet which i cant set up.
i hav bought a bt voyager 1500 wireless router so i can share a broadband connection with another one of my computers, which uses a bt voyager 105 usb adsl modem. i have plugged in a wireless adapter into my laptop but i dont know how to connect the computers together and get wireless on my laptop!!!! plzhelp!!!!

ade.h 16:22 04 Apr 2006

Configuring the router would be a start. I will assume that you have got as far as removing the old modem and plugging in the router via Ethernet cable to your desktop PC. You could plug it into the notebook in this way for the purposes of configuration.

Open a browser and enter whatever IP address is used by BT Voyager routers. 192.168.*.1 where * could 0, 1 or 2. As I don't have a BT manual, you're better placed than me to find that out.

Now setup the router's configuration as per the manual (download one if necessary). Obviously, I won't be able to give you specifics at this point in the proceedings. Another Voyager user might be able to, but I avoid all things BT.

One thing that is bothering me: you say in your first sentence that the notebook has wireless capability, but later state that you have plugged in a wireless adapter. If both those comments are right, then you are going about this the wrong way; if the notebook is wireless enabled, then you are lucky because that is easier to configure and use than an external adapter. Please confirm either way, so that I can advise you further.

Helpimsoconfused 16:38 04 Apr 2006

i got the wireless adapter thing with my laptop so i thought i had to plug it in

Helpimsoconfused 16:44 04 Apr 2006

also, when i type in the ip address it comes up with page cannot be displayed, how can i get this to work?

ade.h 16:49 04 Apr 2006

Please can you make aboslutely certain that this notebook does or does not have a built-in wireless adapter? Tell me the make and full model number if you like, and I'll find out. This is crucial info before you go any further.

You'll also need to mention what firewall, if any, you have installed on the notebook. Configuring your firewall correctly is crucial to the success or failure of networking.

Helpimsoconfused 16:51 04 Apr 2006

Ok i have an Advent 7086 laptop and I use Norton firewall.

ade.h 17:05 04 Apr 2006

Norton Firewall is notoriously difficult to network with; you might want to lose it in favour of a vastly more effective free firewall such as Kerio. click here

I look up the 7086, but there are always a number of different versions of every Acer model. The full p/n from underneath the notebook would be useful.

ade.h 17:05 04 Apr 2006

Duh. For Acer read Advent.

Helpimsoconfused 17:09 04 Apr 2006

where abouts under the laptop is the p/n

ade.h 17:10 04 Apr 2006

Right, I've checked out the model, and the only one that I can find is an ultra-budget model with no internal wireless capability, so I think you're safe to install the adapter.

It would be a good idea to use it driver-only - without the manufacturer's software - to allow XP to take control of the network connection without any interference. Tell me: a) How you have installed it, and b) what make and model it is, so that I can get details about it.

Disable Norton Firewall completely while you set this up.

ade.h 17:11 04 Apr 2006

Just to let you know: I won't be able to reply again until later this evening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?