Wireless internet sharing problem

Chris-238213 23:43 05 Jan 2006

My host PC runs Win XP and has a broadband internet connection with Virgin. I have a Trust ADSL modem/router which is linked to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router/access point. Everything works fine on htis PC including streaming music to a wireless mp3 player. On a secon PC running Win98SE I have jusy installed a Belkin wireless USB adapter which installed OK and found the wireless network. There is communication between the 98SE PC and the Netgear wireless router/access point but I cannot connect to the internet from this PC. Until recently I had the 98SE PC connected to the ADSL modem/router directly through an ethernet cable and it worked fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated

mgmcc 08:20 06 Jan 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router.

Chris-238213 08:58 06 Jan 2006

Yes I am connected to the wireless network and the Belkin software indicates there is communication between the adapter and the Netgear wireless router but it can't see the internet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?