Wireless Internet with router

iscanut 14:16 28 Oct 2006

I currently have a desktop pc linked to a USB modem & broadband, running Win xp sp2 with IE7 & Firefox 2. I am getting a laptop with Windows 2000 on it & IE6. Neither pc is wirelss enabled. Can I link up these 2 pcs to internet via a router and a USB wireless dongle in each pc. Does it matter that they have different op systems and browsers. I am completely ignorant re wireless set up. Thanks.

Technotiger 14:22 28 Oct 2006

Hi, I would recommend - fit a pci Ethernet card in PC. Get something like Safecom Modem Router wired to Ethernet Card.
Fit Safecom Wireless Lan CardBus to slot in Laptop.
Then a bit of software configering and you will be away.

I am sure there will be plenty more responses forthcoming.

Cheers.

sean-278262 14:24 28 Oct 2006

Wireless is easy to set up in XP. 2000 is similar however I have not used 2000 to do it. However most things require you install the drives and then just connect. If you have a wireless router make sure to have a good wireless security password protected. The 2 operating systems wont make any ounce of difference the router will see them as 2 unique items on the network. Same way as a bouncer would see 2 different people as they approach the door. One looks nothing like the other.

It should work a treat and being able to move a laptop about the house is great. I do it with mine all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?