wireless internet - Encapsulation llc or vc?

pookie 20:22 02 Dec 2008

Hi

windows xp sp3, talktalk broadband and dlink dslgo4t 54mbps wireless modem/router.

internet was not connecting consistantly recently so did factory reset on dlink and started again with it. I've had the dlink for years and it has had no new firmware updates for years (from the dlink site anyway that i can see).

I have connected again with talktalk username etc. Whilst looking online at various settings people have with the dlink and talktalk all have encapsulation vc whilst mine went to llc by default. does it matter which I use? i don't want to mess around anymore incase i mess it up completely.

out of interest i've had the dlink for years for home use with no network/sharing. my b/band is up to 8Mbs. Would i notice any difference if I got a N1 type modem/router wireless with n1 wireless adaptor?

many thanks

P

Ashrich 20:46 02 Dec 2008

VC is what you need , and your internet won't be any faster with wireless N , only the transfers between PC's providing they are both N enabled or using Gigabit ethernet .

Ashley

pookie 21:13 02 Dec 2008

many thanks Ashley

P

pookie 12:08 04 Dec 2008

hi

for the dlink should i use wep or wpa security? which is more secure? If i do a view available networks it picks up several of my neighbours so i guess they can see mine as well

cheers

P

Ashrich 23:55 04 Dec 2008

Providing your wireless adapter supports it then always use at least WPA ( or WPA2 if you have it )

Ashley

brundle 00:02 05 Dec 2008

Dupe; click here

I agree regarding WPA2

pookie 08:41 05 Dec 2008

thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?