Wireless internet connection. Help????

andytr 21:16 15 Jun 2006

Can anyone out there help? I have a wireless network. My laptop is definitiely picking up the wireless network OK but when i open Internet Exporer, it say that the page cannot be displayed. I have gone into the settings of IE and seleceted the "automatically detect settings" in the LAN settings but no success. Any help would be very much appreciated
Cheers

alexgray104 21:18 15 Jun 2006

May sound a bit stupid, but does the router need resetting. Mine sometimes connects to the network but the router wants resetting before it will connect to the internet.

unix_geek_cred 21:28 15 Jun 2006

Could you explain your network set up if possible, Static IP address etc
Have you got WEP eg password protected wi-fi network.

mgmcc 22:11 15 Jun 2006

<<< My laptop is definitiely picking up the wireless network OK but when i open Internet Exporer, it say that the page cannot be displayed >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Wetwilly2005 08:36 16 Jun 2006

have you got AOL ? have you got anti-virus software ? what make is the router because most have in built firewalls that need to be configured!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?