Wireless Internet Connection

johnincrete 05:29 06 Apr 2009

I want to learn about wireless internet connection but the literature I've found (including Linksys that came with the wireless USB adapter) seems to be written for experts, with so many technical terms that I cannot understand what I should be doing.
A wireless router(?) is connected with a good internet connection and the laptop with built-in wireless connection just connected itself. Now I want to connect using my PC and a USB adapter.

Does anyone know where I can find information that a complete novice like me can read? The aim is to understand the Linksys "guide" and install the adapter.

birdface 08:10 06 Apr 2009

You might have a look on here and see if anything helps.
USB wireless dongle I think it is you need.
click here

johnincrete 15:44 06 Apr 2009

I have a Linksys adapter but the instructions are intelligible due to the use of yechnical terms. I trying to find a simple description so that, having understood what the technical terms meen, I will be able to install the Linksys devise.

birdface 16:07 06 Apr 2009

Sorry but have never tried it so cannot comment I would imagine it would come with CD to be able to download the proper driver for it.
All this tells you to do is go into all programs Accessories.Network set up wizard and use that.

Easy Setup
Conveniently compact adapter plugs into your laptop or desktop’s USB port. Step-by-step Setup Wizard makes it easy to configure to your network's settings.

Nothing is easy for me.If someone shows me how to do it no problem I always remember.

Best of luck I hope someone can give you the proper advice.

chub_tor 17:33 06 Apr 2009

I have used the same USB wireless adapter (dongle) on several different desktop PCs and with XP or Vista there is no "installation" as such. Plug it in and the operating system installs the new driver and shows that the new hardware is ready for use. All that remains to be done is to try to connect to the internet and you will normally be asked for the security code (WEP/WPA etc) for the router. Enter that correctly and you will be connected.

johnincrete 07:25 07 Apr 2009

See the problem? what is "the security code (WEP/WPA etc) for the router? Where will I find it?

chub_tor 12:49 07 Apr 2009

Linksys setup, including security code setup click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?