Wireless internet connection.

dallboy 20:26 24 Feb 2008

I have just gone wireless with Tiscali using a siemens gigaset se587 router. Mainly so my son can use his PS3 online, I have a couple of querries i would like help with. Using windows XP with outlook 2007. I have plugged the router directly into my pc via the earthnet cable. Does this make me as secure as my old style non wireless router? if not how do i check how secure my p.c is and how do i improve that security? so many reports warning against wireless. is it really that bad????also whilst setting up my email accounts it could not set one which was encripted. Is this a problem as i am unsure of what this means. I know there is a lot of questions here but any help anyone can give is very much appreciated, Thanks in anticipation.

Dipso 21:04 24 Feb 2008

Your connection will be as secure as your previous one if you are still using an ethernet cable, however, if you are broadcasting a wireless signal in order for your son to use his PS3, you need to make sure the wireless is secure by settig up encryption, preferably WPA.

Sorry can't help with the email question.

Sheik Yerbouti 21:05 24 Feb 2008

click here

Some info to read.

1st thing would be to get the wireless signal encrypted using wpa2 and use a long passphrase like one found here.. click here

Then hide the ssid.
As far as connecting ps3 etc I can't help there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?