Wireless internet

Minxster 16:29 08 Aug 2006

Can you help please?

I am running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition which appears to have a wizard for setting up wireless internet - can you tell me what I will need to complete this? Ie Modem etc. It appears there are already internal parts ready for this option as I have had a quick look at the wizard. I am currently using Netgear ASDL Modem Router and linked to Broadband.

I am also updating my son's computer to use Windows XP Home edition and would like to do the same only this computer is far older and may need to have a wireless card?

And finally can I link the two together.

Sorry to sound a bit dizzy but my husband bought the computer as a made up kit via a chap that does his work computer and he's not into 21st Century technology and has know idea what it does!!

Many thanks Lads and Lasses

FelixTCat 17:17 08 Aug 2006

Minxster,

Can you please be a bit clearer as to what you have. From what you have said, I gather that you have adsl broadband through a Netgear adsl router. Is this connected by a wire (an ethernet cable) to your pc (the XP64 one)?

Secondly, to set up a wireless network, your XP64 pc will need a wireless pci card inside it or a wireless USB adapter connected to it. Do you have one or the other?

Thirdly, you are right in saying that your son's pc will also need a wireless pci card or USB adapter. Does his pc have USB ports?

It sounds as though you will need one or, more likely, two wireless adapters of some kind.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?