wireless interference / internet cutting off

Nic1011 20:09 19 Feb 2008

Hi all, I hope one of you can help.

I use both a laptop and PC and connect to the internet through a belkin 54g wireless router. I have Virgin media / ntl broadband and it is all set up and working fine, however, when any of my neighbours are online, or there is any other interference, for example helicopters overhead or police cars outside, the router lights go out and the internet cuts off.

It is really frustrating because I have to disconnect the power to the router and connect it again. This works every time but sometimes only for a few minutes before it disconnects me from the internet again.

I was told that you can change the band width of the router to minimise interference from neighbours etc.

Is this true and if so - how do you do it?

Secondly, how do you make the wireless secure? right now it's unsecured / configured for an open network.

Please help!!! I'm really stuck here.

Thanks

ambra4 20:28 19 Feb 2008

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

ambra4 20:33 19 Feb 2008

Just access the wireless section in the router and change the channel #

On the laptop you also have to change the channel # manually if the setting is not set to auto

Nic1011 20:41 19 Feb 2008

sorry for sounding thick here but you said
"Just access the wireless section in the router and change the channel #"

ummm... how do I access the wireless section in the router? (someone else set it up for me, I've got no clue)

ambra4 20:58 19 Feb 2008

Check the router manual on how to access the router via your browser and the access code

Ashrich 22:57 19 Feb 2008

For a Belkin router , open your browser and type in to the address bar 192.168.2.1 and press enter , that will take you to the entry page ( login ) of the router , hopefully whoever set it up for you didn't set a password , so leave it all blank and just click on " submit "

Click on " Wireless " ( on the left ) then SSID and Channel , you can change wireless channel from there , if you are using the supplied software that came with your wireless adapter , you may have to change it to the same channel manually if it has no automatic changing . Save changed to the router and exit . All of this is best done with the router connected to the PC with an ethernet cable . See if that helps .

Ashley

Nic1011 10:14 20 Feb 2008

perfect thanks! You are amazing :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017