Wireless hub using wireless router

JamieDillen 13:34 16 Mar 2009

I have an existing home network using a BT Home hub and D-Link 8 port switches. mostly i use the ethernet for connectivity, wireless occasionally from the BT Hub. I need to put a wireless access point in a distant room where I have fixed ethernet. I have a spare Netgear WGT624 v3 wireless router and was wondering if I could use that. However, it seems determined to go through auto setup and setup internet connectivity itself. I have disable the DHCP in the netgear but still no connectivity. it get assigned an IP address from the BT hub but that's about it. can I use this box? I assume I need to do some fancy IP configuration but I'm not sure where to start. any advice appreciated

Ex plorer 16:54 17 Mar 2009

Any chance you can extend your existing BT Hub to a more central place in the house so as to give a more general coverage for wireless use.

Ex plorer 17:03 17 Mar 2009

You may find this of intrest
click here

JamieDillen 09:04 18 Mar 2009

unfortunately I can't do this. I need the new wireless hub so I can configure strict time of day on/off in one particular part of the hiuse(one of the kids is taking root using MSN at night). I don't want to block wireless access to the rest of the house and felt that adding a wireless hub dedicated to that laptop was the easiest way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?