Wireless home networking - idiot guide!

wonderwill 12:07 03 Sep 2005

I am a total novice to home networking and seek advice on what I shoulld be buying. I have 2 desktop PC's running on XP with Demon Broadband connection via a Thomson 330 adsl modem.

I am looking for the fastest, cheapest and best quality solution to sharing my printer, broadband and files between the 2 PCs. Can someone help with model specific if possible. Please tell me all that I require i.e. do I still use my existing modem with a new router?, Do I require a pc card for both PCs?

recap 13:43 03 Sep 2005

click here for a step by step guide.

Taff36 08:37 04 Sep 2005

You need a wireless router/modem that connects to your BT Line and in each of the PC`s a wireless card (internal) or a USB wireless adapter. One option is click here There are a few of these owned by forum members but the instructions aren`t great - that`s where we can help you. Note that this "bundle" comes with one USB adapter. You should buy a second one, preferable a cheaper one than the D-link which on it`s own is £29.99 from PCW. Any Belkin one at about £25 will be fine.

Note that if you buy online and "collect from store" you can get the cheaper advertised price.

There are many threads about wireless router/modems on this forum so have a good read and then make your decision. Here`s one click here I suggest you use the search facility on the forum - type in "Wireless" and sift through the one`s asking for advice like your post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?