Wireless Home Networking - Continued

mdshamilton 08:49 20 Sep 2003

I set up a wireless home network that now works well - I can connect to the internet via a wireless broadband router from both PCs and my PDA.

I would like to share files between the PCs but keep this traffic secure - I think I need to use WEP to achieve this.

However, I also want to share my internet connection with my neighbors - any suggestions how I do this whilst keeping my family's files and internet traffic secure?

Thanks

Mark

I would think (and hope) that your router would support MAC address access, that is, that only those devices that are registered on the router by their MAC address can access the network. You should be able to configure the system to allow the internet connection to be shared while preventing your neighbor from accessing your files.

Also, a decent firewall program (Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is pretty good) will allow you to set up permissions on your families network while preventing access to your neighbor.

mdshamilton 09:19 20 Sep 2003

Thanks Smiffy - It does support MAC address access (It's a US Robotics USR808054).

One question - the router has a MAC address in it which it presents to the Telewest BB modem and which I registered with Telewest. If I use MAC Address accessing will the individual PC's MAC addresses flow through to the BB modem?

It should not as your internet connection effectively terminates at the router. If you have problems you should be able to configure it to prevent the computers individual MAC addresses for going past and simply allowing them to access the connection that the router has obtained.

mdshamilton 12:14 25 Sep 2003

I discovered last night that registering each MAC address on the wireless router allows each PC to continue to access the internet, but unfortunately locks the PCs out of seeing shared folders on the home network. The same thing happens when enabling either XP's firewall or ZoneAlarm.

What do home networking people use as a firewall to protect the network?

mdshamilton 11:56 30 Sep 2003

I've decided to buy a copy of Norton Internet Security 2004 as it includes/incorporates virus protection.

MAC address restriction doesn't work, the next thing to try is WEP. Does anyone have any experience with WEP security? Will it also not allow other PCs on the home network to "see" each other and share printers etc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?