Wireless home networking

eikonuj 11:49 10 Feb 2004

I have BT broadband on my PC at 576Kbps,using an Alcatel Speedtouch modem, my wife has a laptop.What hardware do I need to get an 'always on' wireless broadband connection for the laptop and PC,irrespective of whether the PC is on or not.I believe I need a router, should I put it in the attic, midway or on the ground for best all round signal? We have a 'standard' 3 bed semi.An effective network,not cost (up to a point),is the overriding factor.

LeadingMNMs 12:09 10 Feb 2004

I suggest you do a search on this as there have been many of the topics over the last day or two.

A router is the best option using a built in ADSL modem. I use 802.11b (11Mbps) and this works over both floors (with excellent signal strength) from one side of the house to the over and should have a range of 120 metres. The faster technologies (802.11a or g) have a shorter range and are more secure. A simple network using the 'b' technology should only cost around £100 if your prepared to shop around and get differenet components from differenet manufacturers.

Therefore the router can be placed anywhere you like, though near a phone socket would be useful. The router could be connected directly via ethernet cable to the PC and then a wireless NIC could be placed in the laptop, or both computers could have a wireless card. Neither computer is needed for the other to gain internet access.

Hope this helps

eikonuj 12:26 10 Feb 2004

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?