Wireless Home Network suddenly died

Bobafart 22:18 06 Aug 2007

My home wireless network died 5 days ago for no apparent reason.

Then I started fiddling with the "wireless network connection" and I still can't get it to work. I am not sure why -- it has worked fine for two years at my home.

I have a D-Link DI-524 router which has been awesome ever since I bought it.

My laptop is a Dell XPS 2 running Windows XP Home Edition.

The little icon tray has the wireless icon with an X through it. When I check to search for wireless networks in the area nothing shows up: "no wireless networks were found in range" -- there are about 10 other wirless networks in my neighbourhood that my laptop normally sees.

I haven't added any other hardware/software and I haven't done any upgrades to my laptop.

The router lights are all working as expected showing no error. I have unplugged and replugged in my router in the hopes of resetting it.

I have a desktop which is networked through the router by a network cable (not wireless) which works fine.

If I right click the wireless network icon on my laptop in the icon tray (bottom right near the clock) it tries to "connect to the wireless network" but can't because it says: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network"

Device Manager presents m Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG network icon as a normal icon (there is no 'X' through it and there is no hardware conflict). It is set as "Ad Hoc Channel", 802.11 b/g is checked and set to 11.

Can someone give me some advice? I would hate to think my wireless network card just died for some reason. Anything I didn't offer in my information above, I will gladly add it.

ambra4 02:46 07 Aug 2007

Have you tried disabling and enabling wireless card on laptop

Try removing the security code on the router and laptop and see if still not working

Change from "Ad Hoc Channel" to “Infrastructure” see if that work

Try connecting laptop to a difference wireless router,

If you can wireless card is good if not you have a bad wireless card

The same would apply too the router sees if a difference laptop can connect to your wireless router

BurrWalnut 14:26 07 Aug 2007

Try these :-
Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter (capitals are for clarity only).
1. Type IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press Enter.
2. Type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press Enter.
3. Type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and press Enter.
4. Type IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter.
Have you acquired an IP address like 192.168.n.n If you get 169.254.n.n, try typing the WEP/WPA key in hexadecimal rather than as characters.

5. Go to Wireless Zero Configuration in Administration Tools, Services. If Stop is there, click it and then change Startup to Disabled.

Dipso 17:14 07 Aug 2007

If above fail try uninstalling the wireless card in device manager and then re-install.

Lbjr 20:33 05 Nov 2007

I was not able to "view available wireless networks" with my IBM t1 Thinkpad, wit a 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter" network card. Instead of the "Wireless Networks" tab in "Wireless Network Connection properties", I got "Authentication". No one could help me - not the Wireless Router Vendor, not IBM, not the Network Adapter vendor, not the tech people at my job which issued the laptop, not the Microsoft knowledge base, nor anywhere else on the Internet. I followed Dipso's directions, especially the final one, to uninstall and reinstall the wireless card. It worked. Now I see available wireless networks. So, in case some soul around the globe is tearing their hair out looking for a solution, I hope they get Dipso if they google, "No available wireless networks in range."
Thanks, Dipso

Dipso 21:23 05 Nov 2007

Glad to be of assistance! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache