Wireless home network

donmar 15:28 17 Feb 2007

All my wireless settings look fine.Signal strength excellent. Modem is on line.Card in computer fine .

But will not connect wirelessly. Any help gratefully received.
netgear modem,xp os AOL isp.

Don

chub_tor 15:52 17 Feb 2007

Have you got the security settings (eg WEP) set correctly for both the modem and PC?

skidzy 16:00 17 Feb 2007

If using xp,the quickest and easiest way to transfer any settings is to use the wireless network setup wizard from control panel...you will need a flash drive or even a memory card though you will need a reader on both machines.

Does the host pc have internet connectivity ?

donmar 17:43 17 Feb 2007

I am setting up the network now so at present no computer has access.
The wep settings are correct on the netgear setup page but I don't know how to check the machine.
Don

Strawballs 18:36 17 Feb 2007

I may be reading this wrong, but you say the modem is online and that your ISP is AOL do you mean modem/router and not just modem?

donmar 18:51 17 Feb 2007

My ISP is AOL and they tell me that my netgear modem/router is on line but my computer will not connect wirelessly.

donmar 18:53 17 Feb 2007

In the task bar it is constantly seeking network address

Don

Strawballs 19:03 17 Feb 2007

when you right click on the icon in the taskbar and click on view availiable networks it should show you all of the wireless networks in range and if they are wep or wpa encrypted and when you click to connect to one it will ask you for the key.

donmar 19:39 17 Feb 2007

Thank you all. It now says that it is searching for the network address but it does now connect wirelessly.

I am really grateful for your help.

Don

Jake_027 00:31 18 Feb 2007

See click here

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?