Wireless Home Network

clo2_clo 14:00 20 Jan 2006

hey i have purchased a linksys wireless WAG354G gateway which replaces my old bt adsl modem on my desktop. the idea is for my laptop to use the wireless internet connection but im having problems.
i can get on the internet using the gateway on the pc, but not on the laptop. the laptop can find the network but when i try to connect to the ineternt its telling me it failed to connect to remote computer.
does anyone know?
thanks
from chloe

mgmcc 17:18 20 Jan 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

clo2_clo 17:25 20 Jan 2006

sorry i forgot to post that im connected, but now im having problems with some MSN connections, it wont let me connect to msn messenger. when i troubleshoot it it says theres an error with the key ports and now i think its something to do with a WinSock Proxy Client or summit... im not sure... any idea? Coz i try to log in on hotmail and it wont allow me to and says page cannot be displayed. so frustrating!!!
Any idea????

mgmcc 18:47 20 Jan 2006

Have a look in the router's settings and see if there is a setting for the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit). If there is, make a note of its current setting so you can put it back to that, and try changing it to 1492 to see if that makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?