Wireless help please!

jackie89 23:08 01 Mar 2006

Hi i have recently bought a DWL 122 wireless adapter for my pc to use with the psp. i already have a wired network with just a single ethernet cable going from my computer to the other one. My computer is the main one and is connected directly to the internet modem. I tried to use this wireless adapter but didnt get very far. My aim is still to have my main computer with direct access to the internet and a ethernet cable to my other computer. Also a wireless adapter in my pc so i can use my psp. Has anyone got a solution to my problems thanks.

mgmcc 10:12 02 Mar 2006

If I understand correctly, your "main" PC has both a "wired" and a "wireless" network adapter installed and connects to the internet via a USB ADSL modem.

If so, and provided it is running Windows XP, you want to "bridge" the two network adapters and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual Internet connection (the modem connection). To bridge the connections, select both, righ click and select "Bridge Connections".

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it will automatically configures the Network Bridge with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection and the PSP's Wireless Adapter should be set to get their IP addresses automatically, which they do by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked. In any case, firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

jackie89 17:50 02 Mar 2006

Hi many thanks for your help. But at the moment when i try to "bridge the connections" it says an unexpected error has occured. Also when i double click on the D in the bottem right then it is trying to search for a network which is not what i want. I want to use the wireless adapter almost like a access point. I have had the normal wired connection with the other computer for the loong time with no problems but i cant fugure out what to do now. Any further help is well and truley appriciated,

ade.h 18:00 02 Mar 2006

"....when i double click on the D in the bottem right...."

What D, and bottom right of what?

jackie89 18:12 02 Mar 2006

sorry i meant in the toolbar in the bottem right of the screen. The D opens up the wireless network connections window.

ade.h 18:26 02 Mar 2006

Ah I see; you mean XP's Notification Area.

D-clicking on the wifi LAN icon is supposed to launch the available networks window. That's what it's there for.

jackie89 20:07 02 Mar 2006

does anyone know what is wrong when it says an unexpected error has occured when i attempt to bridge the connextions

keewaa 21:39 02 Mar 2006

So in Network Connections you have the Internet Connection, LAN wired connection, and Wireless adapter. And you are already using Internet Connection sharing to allow the 2 computer to access the internet?

Not sure, but you might need to temporarily disable the internet connection, disable internet connection sharing on the internet connection, bridge the LAN and wireless, and then re-enable ICS for the Internet connection, and try connecting again.

jackie89 22:14 02 Mar 2006

well i am only sharing it with the wired LAN connection as the wireless one does not work at the momment.

keewaa 22:22 02 Mar 2006

Yes so, in Network Connections, you need to bridge the new wireless adapter for the psp with the wired LAN for pc to create one network and then share the internet connection with this bridged network that now has both PC and psp.

mgmcc 08:42 03 Mar 2006

I should perhaps have said that, before bridging the two network adapters, any existing "Internet Connection Sharing" will have to be removed, the adapters bridged and then "ICS" enabled again on the Internet connection.

The "Wireless Network Adapter" needs to be "enabled", but doesn't need to be "connected", for it to be bridged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?