wireless help needed please

pinkandwhitedove 10:52 24 Oct 2009

I have just bought the Dell Inspiron 1545 for an xmas present and what i need help with please is how can i make it wireless for xmas. My son has a home virgin media desktop computer which only comes with a motorola cable modem. can you please tell me what i now have to buy so he can be wifi in the house. does it have to be a wifi router? or can i buy somehting else to go wifi? i have no idea and would love help please thanks

mgmcc 12:49 24 Oct 2009

You need a "Wireless Cable/DSL Router" whose WAN port will connect by ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the Motorola Cable Modem.

Your son's desktop computer and the Dell Inspiron will then both connect to the Router. This can be either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly" and they will have simultaneous internet access.

Suitable routers click here

pinkandwhitedove 18:27 24 Oct 2009

Hi may i ask if there is one you would reccomend as im reading this i have no idea as to which one to buy? sorry but i have no knowledge of anything tech im old and this is dutch to me. thankyou

mgmcc 18:37 24 Oct 2009

Unless you are likely to be transferring large files "wirelessly" between computers (where a fast connection speed would be desirable), the Netgear WGR614 will do what you need with a standard 54Mbps wireless connection speed. This is actually the model that Virgin used to supply (and may still do) to customers wanting to go "wireless".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?