Wireless Help Needed - Eternal Gratitude Offered !

oblivious1 19:17 20 Dec 2006

Please can someone help me to set up a wireless network between my two PCs. I have been trying everything for the past 2 months, but still am hitting my head against a brick wall ! I have a PC downstairs and one upstairs. Both are running XP and aol 9.0. My downstairs PC is connected to the internet via a Thomson Speedtouch 576 which is wireless enabled. I have two USB adaptors, a Belkin Wirless G Network Adaptor and also a BT Voyager 1050 Adaptor.
I would be eternally grateful if some kind person would maybe give me a walkthrough of the best way of achieving my aim with the equipment I have available. Surely this cannot be as impossible as I have so far found it to be ? Please Help.....

STREETWORK 20:06 20 Dec 2006

It would help if you post a bullit point list of what you have done so far as this could point to the missing thingy...

Strawballs 21:54 20 Dec 2006
  ajm 22:59 20 Dec 2006

have copied the instructions for setting up wifi with aol Hope it helps:
I've had to send the message in 2 parts as it exceeds the words allowed per post

What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.

Required Details:

Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
VCI: 38
Username: yourscreenname@aol.com
Password: youraolpassword

Please read these important guidelines about Screen Names and passwords used to configure a router to sign on to AOL.

Wireless Settings:
When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:

SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
WEP Key: The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.
MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting on the modem router. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400.

You can change the MTU setting on your computer by using DrTCP. This is a free software utility that is a shortcut to editing your registry. This is available at: click here.
MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.
MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1360.

Are there special requirements for the Screen Name I use to set up my home network?

Yes. The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your connection:

You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case
You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name
The Screen Name must not contain any spaces

ajm 23:03 20 Dec 2006

The Screen Name must have General (18+) access in
AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and
Kids Only Screen Names will not work for a router connection)

For example, if your current Screen Name is: FTG and HL24 The router setup for this Screen Name should be: ftgandhl24@aol.com

We recommend that you create a new Screen Name for your router to connect to AOL. (If you use an existing Screen Name, then access AOL from a different location using that same Screen Name, your router will lose connection to the Internet.)

You can create a new Screen Name for this purpose at AOL Keyword:
Screen Names, making sure that it follows the above guidelines
2nd part AOL:

Setting up AOL to connect via a router on AOL 9.0

This article describes how to set up a router connection (using TCP/IP) on AOL version 9.0.

Step 1: Start AOL but do not sign on at this point. Instead, click Sign On Options on the AOL Sign-On screen.

Step 2: Click on Expert Setup.

Step 3: Click Add Location.

Step 4: Type a name for the location in the Location Name box -- for example, 'Router' -- then click Next.

Step 5: Choose Broadband (High-Speed, cable, DSL, or other ISP), then click Next.

Step 6: Tick Automatically reconnect me and ignore interruptions... then click Next.

Step 7: Select Automatic Connection, then click Next.

Step 8: Click Sign on to AOL now, then simply sign on to AOL as usual using any of your AOL Screen Names.

The next time you start the AOL software, you'll notice 'Router' (or whatever name you gave the location) is available as one of the options in the drop-down Location menu on the AOL Sign-On screen (see Step 1). This allows you to easily switch between using a router connection and a different connection (for example, a dial-up modem) if you wish

oblivious1 09:57 21 Dec 2006

To be honest I'm none the wiser. I suppose my main problem is that I'm not sure whether I need an adaptor for just the upstairs PC, or whether I also need one connected to my main PC which is running off the router. I have tried with one and with both so many times and installed and uninstalled the adaptors (for a fresh start) that I am now totally confused. Some places I read that I need the one adaptor, others say I need both. Just an answer to this basic problem would be a start !!

mgmcc 21:29 21 Dec 2006

You only need a Wireless Network Adapter in a PC that is connecting *wirelessly* to the router. If one of your computers connects by cable to the router, it doesn't also need a Wireless Network Adapter for the second computer to be able to connect.

In other words, only your upstairs PC needs a Wireless Network Adapter.

ratzy 16:11 26 Dec 2006

hi there yes i can sympathise with u
at the moment im having the same trouble as u
its rather frustrating,as im new to this
and if ur like me then i dont understand the instructs,and darnt alter anything

oblivious1 22:31 26 Dec 2006

Hiya ratzy, so glad it's not just me !
Do you kind of get the feeling that it's liable to be just one small thing that you're doing wrong...or not doing at all ?! If you ever find the answer, please post it here......

STREETWORK 19:28 30 Dec 2006

Sorted

Well managed to sort this out and am posting the solution for others:

1. On the PC you need to connect, click 'start', 'run' and type in "services.msc" without quotes.

2. Scroll down to wireless connection (3rd from bottom) and right click it.

3. Click 'start'

4. right Click it again and click 'restart'

5. close the window.

6. Right click on the system tray icon for the adapter and click on 'view available connections'. This will pull up a window showing any available networks (and may list others in your area)

Note: If you do not see any connections repeat steps 1 to 6 again.

7. Choose the network you need to connect to and click connect. Here you will be prompted to type in the WEP Key, this can be found on the base of the router.

It should now connect...

oblivious1 23:04 30 Dec 2006

...It should.....but it didn't !

I was so pleased to see your response streetwork, and promptly rushed upstairs to try your solution. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. As usual I can easily pick up my network, and my WEP key is seemingly accepted, but I just cannot get a connection.
This is really baffling me !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?