?? Wireless-G router + Belkin-N usb adaptor = ??

FlowerGirl 19:11 17 Mar 2010

Apparently the Belkin-N wireless usb adaptor gives a better & quicker signal. However, my router is Netgear wireless-G, so does this mean I may as well jusy get a G wireless usb adaptor, or will the N be better for me? (I have only just aquired an oldish laptop - Dell Inspiron 1100). I could do with some easy to understand help here please.

User-1229748 19:27 17 Mar 2010

you will only want a wireless g usb adaptor for that router yes.

FlowerGirl 19:32 17 Mar 2010

Thanks for that. A friend of mine had advised me to get the Belkin-N usb and it looked great when I researcged it, but he didn't know at the time I asked for his advice that my router was the Netgear-G. You may have just saved me a few bob.

mgmcc 19:41 17 Mar 2010

If you're looking for a "good value" USB Wireless Network Adapter, have a look at click here

It is an 802.11n ("N") adapter, but it will work with your "G" router and still be less expensive than the Belkin G adapter. I'm using one with a PC running XP SP3.

FlowerGirl 20:04 17 Mar 2010

Hi mgmcc. I'm not sure now. Do you have a G router? My laptop has XP on it.

User-1229748 20:18 17 Mar 2010

yes you could buy the wireless n adaptor in mgmcc's link,it's a small sized one aswell which may suit you better for a lappy.

User-1229748 20:27 17 Mar 2010

read thru the reviews in the link to see if anyone has had any problems with your netgear router etc.

FlowerGirl 20:32 17 Mar 2010

Cheers smackheadz, I will have a go, but there are thousands!! I must eat first, I think. I've been checking a few sites. But all the techno-figures mean nothing to me, so I think in the end it will be a leap of faith (in you guys!)

FlowerGirl 21:12 17 Mar 2010

Hi guys! I have made a purchace based on your advice and my research. (I still haven't eaten!!) I will get back in touch if I have problems installing the adaptor, as I'm sure I will get some valuable help. Thanks!

mgmcc 20:12 18 Mar 2010

I do also have a Netgear "G" Router (although it is a Cable/DSL one on Virgin's Cable service) and the Edimax adapter works fine with that.

FlowerGirl 21:42 18 Mar 2010

Good news! My tiny little Edi-"N" adaptor has beed despatched. Watch this space. Like I said,I have Virg Media cable broadband, which provided the Ntgear "G" router. So if I get time this weekend (socialite that I am!!) I will have to have a go at setting it all up. Wish me luck!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone