?? Wireless-G router + Belkin-N usb adaptor = ??

FlowerGirl 19:11 17 Mar 2010

Apparently the Belkin-N wireless usb adaptor gives a better & quicker signal. However, my router is Netgear wireless-G, so does this mean I may as well jusy get a G wireless usb adaptor, or will the N be better for me? (I have only just aquired an oldish laptop - Dell Inspiron 1100). I could do with some easy to understand help here please.

User-1229748 19:27 17 Mar 2010

you will only want a wireless g usb adaptor for that router yes.

FlowerGirl 19:32 17 Mar 2010

Thanks for that. A friend of mine had advised me to get the Belkin-N usb and it looked great when I researcged it, but he didn't know at the time I asked for his advice that my router was the Netgear-G. You may have just saved me a few bob.

mgmcc 19:41 17 Mar 2010

If you're looking for a "good value" USB Wireless Network Adapter, have a look at click here

It is an 802.11n ("N") adapter, but it will work with your "G" router and still be less expensive than the Belkin G adapter. I'm using one with a PC running XP SP3.

FlowerGirl 20:04 17 Mar 2010

Hi mgmcc. I'm not sure now. Do you have a G router? My laptop has XP on it.

User-1229748 20:18 17 Mar 2010

yes you could buy the wireless n adaptor in mgmcc's link,it's a small sized one aswell which may suit you better for a lappy.

User-1229748 20:27 17 Mar 2010

read thru the reviews in the link to see if anyone has had any problems with your netgear router etc.

FlowerGirl 20:32 17 Mar 2010

Cheers smackheadz, I will have a go, but there are thousands!! I must eat first, I think. I've been checking a few sites. But all the techno-figures mean nothing to me, so I think in the end it will be a leap of faith (in you guys!)

FlowerGirl 21:12 17 Mar 2010

Hi guys! I have made a purchace based on your advice and my research. (I still haven't eaten!!) I will get back in touch if I have problems installing the adaptor, as I'm sure I will get some valuable help. Thanks!

mgmcc 20:12 18 Mar 2010

I do also have a Netgear "G" Router (although it is a Cable/DSL one on Virgin's Cable service) and the Edimax adapter works fine with that.

FlowerGirl 21:42 18 Mar 2010

Good news! My tiny little Edi-"N" adaptor has beed despatched. Watch this space. Like I said,I have Virg Media cable broadband, which provided the Ntgear "G" router. So if I get time this weekend (socialite that I am!!) I will have to have a go at setting it all up. Wish me luck!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache