Wireless G or N

sneakerman 16:10 29 Jun 2007

I am thinking of buying a new laptop but don't know whether it is worth waiting for the new Wireless N standard.

I think that wireless G gives you more af a lukewarm spot than a hot spot but wht I would like to know is

If I have a wireless N router, will I get better coverage if my laptop has a wireless G adapter, or does the enhanced network only work when they are both N.

I am quite happy with the speed of G just so long as I can get a connection?

Unfortunately I am not that technically knowledgeable, can anyone help?

Taff™ 16:26 29 Jun 2007

Many of us have used 802.11g for several years and you suggest you are happy with it.

The "n" standard has not been ratified and I am aware that unless you have a router and a compatible (same make or manufacturer) wireless network card you may struggle.

Don`t worry about it! Laptops with "n" will take another 6 months at least to reach the UK market - can you wait that long?

sneakerman 00:28 30 Jun 2007

I am quite happy with the speed of G but not the consistent range

As I understand it one of the features with N is that it gives you a (for example) 300m range compared to a (for example) 100m range with G

The question is do you get 300m with just N router with N Laptop, having said that do you get 250m with N router and G laptop

as opposed to 100m with G router and G laptop

The speed is practically irrelevant, does N not incorporate MIMO technology which by definition improves the area of recepton?

I am only making these figures up to make a point, but if N gives you a 300m range (theoretically) then a 100m range (at good reception) should be a breeze, I really don't need anything more than 100m but what I do want is that 100m to be 100% - I don't care if it goes a bit further.

Taff™ 08:42 30 Jun 2007

You are correct about the range limitations. I suggest you look for a pre-N router with a USB Wireless adapter (Pre-N as well) if the range is an issue using the laptop wireless facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?