WIRELESS FILE AND PRINTER SHARING

Lomond 22:08 05 Jan 2007

Can anyone help resolve my prob?
I have 2 pcs linked to broadband via LINKSYS wireless G Broadband Router

Main PC (DESKTOP) is linked to router by ethernet cable

2ND PC, LAPTOP is wireless.

would like to share printers and files and have set up printer to share on desktop and have run network setup wizard on both but I cannot get to the point where I can share- where am I going wrong??

Strawballs 22:35 05 Jan 2007

The majority of these type of problems re caused by firewalls check that any you have are configured to allow your network traffic.

STREETWORK 14:02 06 Jan 2007

Run the 'add printer' from control panel, printers and faxes. Make sure you select networked printer...

Should do it.

Lomond 19:43 07 Jan 2007

Streetwork - thanks for suggestion - thought I had lift off with this but when I tried adding printer
I was asked for printer name which it then did not accept. There seems to be a barrier somewhere.

When I go into MY NETWORK PLACES then select VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS on my cable linked PC I can see both machines.
When I do the same on my laptop I can only see my laptop and I get the following message:
MSHOME is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

Any thoughts anybody?

Strawballs 00:03 08 Jan 2007

If you have no obstruction from firewalls then when it asks for printer name click on browse and browse network untill you find your printer and add it that way, make sure it is switched on.

Lomond 22:16 08 Jan 2007

Still no joy! When I browse for printer I get an empty window but in the large window below this which is headed shared printers, it says MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK, I then click next to move to next window, I am told YOU NEED TO ENTER A VALID PRINTER NETWORK NAME.
I then enter the printer name showing on my desktop
and click NEXT to be told WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THIS PRINTER EITHER YOU TYPED THE NAME INCORRECTLY OR YOU HAVE LOST THE LINK TO THE SERVER.
I know the mame IS correct because it shows on desktop pc in PROPERTIES and I know I still have link to server as I am using internet continuously.
Any more ideas??
THANKS

markal 23:39 08 Jan 2007

I had problem sharing, and it was my firewall. I had to put an ip address to allow them to share. What firewall are you using

Lomond 06:39 09 Jan 2007

Thanks for reply - I am using windows firewalls on both pcs set for file and printer sharing
Also I don't think I need to do anything with my Router

Charlie Babbage 15:02 09 Jan 2007

... my router is BT Voyager 1065 and the desktop is connected to the router via the USB cable.

Both computers run under Win XP Professional SP2 and the Windows Firewall is installed on both machines. A couple of replies state the the problem could be caused by the firewall. Do you need to make any adjustment to the Windows Firewall and, if so, how and what?

The printer is attached to the desktop. When I go to printer setup on the laptop, I assume I select the option to use a network printer, or a printer attached to another computer. When I select 'Browse for Printer' I get a dialog box showing under 'Shared Printers' the names I have given to each - 'HOME' for the laptop and 'REBORN' for the Desktop (at least it did this first of all but now does not!!) Above these names is a box in which to insert the name of the printer. On the desktop, I have enabled printer sharing and the share name is 'HPDeskJe.2' I insert that share name as the printer name, click 'Next' and then get the error message 'Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.' I have checked that both computers are on and the printer is on.

Any further advice to get the laptop to share the printer would be much appreciated.

Charlie Babbage 15:08 09 Jan 2007

... hope that Lomond can! I didn't look in 'View Workgroup Computers!! Thanks very much Lomond!!!!

Lomond 19:13 09 Jan 2007

Charlie - Glad i could help! What name did you end up putting in the printer box (window?)
This could help me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?