'wireless enabled' what does this mean?

freefx 21:32 20 Aug 2007

Just bought my son a laptop this afternoon, as a surprise gift for him to take with him to the university this autumn. Still in a box, he is away right now. Just strike my mind that the advert says it is 'wireless enabled'. Does that mean the laptop can 'talk' to the router without a wireless network adaptor or do i still to plug one in?

its a Acer 5633WLMi with INTEL GMA R50 GRAPHICS.

Any advice is much appreciated.

skidzy 21:38 20 Aug 2007

It has a built in wireless card,no need for the adaptor.

Just use a flashdrive and control panels network wizard to carry across the router settings including security key for internet access.

freefx 22:02 20 Aug 2007

Thanks skidzy.

We dont have any security key set up, just SSID name, as we dont have anything sensitive info in our pcs, beside this business of WEP and WPA is beyond me.

Once again thanks your advice.

skidzy 22:14 20 Aug 2007

You really should setup the security,at present anyone can access your connection unless ssid is hidden.

I only use WEP with a decent firewall Zonealarm.
This secures my network,with no problems to date.

Wep is easy enough to setup,just follow the prompts in the configuration page of your router.

If you do go ahead and set this up,make a note of the security and put it away some where safe.
Remember the key is case sensitive.

laurie53 07:26 21 Aug 2007

If he's taking it to uni he will certainly need security.

His fellow students will be only to happy to copy his papers, and/or maliciously "edit" them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?