Wireless Disconnecting

Main Access 10:50 16 Nov 2006

I have a BT wireless router.
About once or twice a night a get a bubble coming up in the bottom right hand corner telling me that the laptop is now connected to the wireless network xxx. That’s OK as it is correct. But about 2 mins later the network no longer connects. A repair wireless network solves the problem, but it is pretty annoying to have to do this every night.

I thought it maybe that someone else nearby was on the same channel, but after using all 14 channels the problem still persists.

Anyone any idea what is going on with the network?

Cymro. 14:38 16 Nov 2006

I also get much the same problem myself. As I don`t really know enough about it I am afraid I had better not offer you any advice but I was given to understand on this forum that you can connect to wireless via the MS system that is already built in to Windows or you can use the BT system that comes with the BT router. I used to get the bubble that you mention but as I now use the BT system to connect I only get a BT icon to tell me if I am connected or not. I very much hope that some one comes up with an answer to your problem as it may help me with mine. It is I think possible to get some sort of conflict if you are using two systems (MS+BT) to connect to wireless.

Ashrich 21:18 16 Nov 2006

Turn off power saving in the wireless adapters settings ...Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / Network Adapters . Expand Network Adapters and double click on your wireless adapter , under advanced see if you have the option to turn off power saving , also reduce power saving on the laptop .

Ashley

Main Access 23:37 16 Nov 2006

all power saving is switched off

Ashrich 18:36 17 Nov 2006

What make and model is the wireless adapter you are using , it may need updater drivers , my laptop currently has an Atheros mini pci card installed and I tried many different drivers made for Atheros cards from different companies until I settled on some Hewlett Packard ones which work really well . If you can find the make or supplier that would help .

Ashley

Bill3rd 11:28 18 Nov 2006

Im new to wireless. Managed to set up wireless router/ adapter and moved pc to another location in house. But only works if left on. i.e when I turn off at the wall I lose the Wireless Conn. Is this normal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?