Wireless and Dialup

Procrastinus 13:22 19 Mar 2008

This is probably a real dumb question, but can one have a home wireless set up with a dialup system? All my research so far talks of broadband, cable and DSL connections. If so what do you recommend as the basic wireless hub?

xania 14:24 19 Mar 2008

Dialup is to a single PC - if you want to have access to more than one PC, you will need one telephone line to one PC. There is no wireless option on dial-up.

stevo28 14:53 19 Mar 2008

the following should work with two pc's only: run the windows network setup wizard on both pc's; the pc with modem attached would be the main hub so in the wizard select 'this pc connects direct to internet' option; on the 2nd pc run the same wizard and select the option 'pc connects through residential gateway or through another computer'.

Both pc's will require a wireless adapter, pci card or USB and both must share the same workgroup name which you can make up eg johnsmith. You would be able to dial up from the second pc and the hub pc needs to be powered on as it has the modem attached. This setup is called adhoc and doesn't require a router like with adsl.

stevo28 16:08 19 Mar 2008

xania may be right, adsl might not transfer wirelessly?!

Procrastinus 16:39 19 Mar 2008

Many thanks. I thought as much and to complicate matters further, one of the computers is XP and the other Ubuntu!

woodchip 17:08 19 Mar 2008

Look click here
For Wireless Dial-Up

Procrastinus 15:07 20 Mar 2008

Great news woodchip, and many thanks. I should be able to get something going now. Hopefully, a new laptop, XP and Ubuntu (although I am quite impressed with PCLinuxOS)

woodchip 15:13 20 Mar 2008

Glad You found it useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?