Wireless Device Gone!

duartexas 15:52 10 Dec 2007

Hi guys.

I'm not a computer expert so I really can't tell much details, but I have a compaq presario F500 series laptop which also has wifi enabled. I'm running Windows Vista.

The wireless device was working always well. This device has 2 color led light; one red meaning is disconnected and another blue meaning the opposite or connected. I can use the switch to turn on or off the wireless device.

Since a month or so, the wireless device start to show as red or disconnected and even if I would turn the switch on or off it would not make a difference. So I went to Device Manager to see if the wireless needed a drive update. For my surprise I couldn't find the wireless device in there in the network part as installed which is strange since I have never unistall it. So my first thought was to get the drive again and install it. I found the drive on the HP website and tried to install, but after run it on my laptop it won't install, and I don't know why.

So my wireless device is not working, driver is not installed and can't be installed. I tried to do a recorvery of all devices as from it's original factory settings and still not work. I would try a full recorvery, but I have so many important things set up that I really do not want to go back again, plus I have no guarantee that it will fix this network problem since I have had one once with my ethernet device and the full recorvery haven't fix it.

This is a very frustating sittuation and I can't resolve it and find why has happened and how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated it.

Kemistri 17:08 10 Dec 2007

Not the only possibility, but.... maybe the adapter has died and it's a warranty job.

duartexas 17:57 10 Dec 2007

Well I still on the warranty but before I lose all my data and have no laptop for the next 2 months (since these warranty jobs take forever) can anyone tell me of other things I can do or check before I surrender and call HP for help?

buster99 13:11 29 Dec 2007

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a major problem with Compaq (HP) machines. I'm currently going through a similar problem with my laptop (Compaq also) where the wireless adapter disappeared overnight. If you visit HP there is a help section which covers the problem and also a Bios update which is suppose to resolve the problem, however having tried this without success and from reading the threads of dozens of other users it would appear to be a major product fault with a conflict between motherboard and network card. Good luck dealing with the call centre - i tried and gave up, however if your in warranty then you've a much stronger argument !!!!!!!

postie24 20:40 29 Dec 2007

Back up all your data just incase of any future probs.
click here

duartexas 02:39 03 Jan 2008

HP have picked it up today to fix wireless adapter. Apparently it will be ready in 10 days.

Thanks for the answers.

duartexas 21:20 08 Jan 2008

Got my Laptop today from HP. They have replaced System Board, Wireless Card and undergo a BIO Upgrade. Wireless adaptar working very well. Let's see how long it will last:))

Hi all,

I have also handed over my lap top to HP for repairs..

Duartexas,

Did HP inform you in writing that they replaced System Board, Wireless Card and undergo a BIO Upgrade..

cheers

ajex

I got back my laptop from HP with Note explaining System Board has been changed and Bios upgraded.

All done before warranty was to expire so anyone who has this laptop.. beware as this seems to be design problem..

Cheers

Ajex

Wornpick 12:05 23 Mar 2008

This seems to be a major, major problem for countless people out there. Most forums have postings of the same problem for owners of certain HP/Compaq models. The common denominator appears to be purchase from a batch in and around August 2007, with wireless failure some three to four months later (sometimes sooner). In my own case (Presario F500) wireless died totally around December 2007. Can rule out software update problem/conflict because this particular laptop was not connected online ever! It worked fine with the same installation base of software for four months then went. Got to be hardware failure. That's what you get for buying cheapest laptop in PCWorld special offer...

g4gina 11:07 23 Jan 2009

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem with my 16 month old presario F560EM (UK), no wireless, can’t detect the Broadcom thingy in the device manager etc etc blah blah. I’ve done all the things that HP recommends, updated BIOS etc but no change. HP are totally denying that this problem exists - even though there are scores of people with the same issues and not just with this model. It’s immensely frustrating to be told that 'yours must be a one off case' (quoted to me in an email from a hp tech) and to clearly know there are others with exactly the same issues. Oh, and of course, mine is one of the models that isnt covered by the extended warranty.

Anyway, enough moaning.

I don’t know how far I’ll get, but anything’s worth a try, hopefully if we all get together we can get some help. I’ve emailed the consumer help TV programme Watchdog (UK) and i would be very grateful if all you could email them too - the more people the better chance we have at at least getting HP to add our models to the list of extended warrantees!

Please email them at click here

Many thanks

Gina

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?