Wireless dead spot

pete47 10:00 24 Sep 2006

Hi there,
My broadband wireless connection is always low or very low on desktop located downstairs about 20yds from router. Am using a BT 2100 voyager router with a prolink usb 2.0 adaptor.
Lap top and other desktop upstairs in house always have excellent signal.
Any advice would be great.
Many thanks,
Pete Hansford.

Phphred 11:58 24 Sep 2006

I have not got a wireless connection but it could be the density of the walls that it has to get through to get to your downstairs desktop!!

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:47 24 Sep 2006

You may need to reposition the antenna on your downstairs desktop. You can get an antenna on an extension cable. I had this problem with the same router, solved with a Dlink DWL-M60AT panel antenna, this is a directional antenna but seems to scoop up loads of signal. A cheaper omnidirectional antenna may well do the trick, you can get a base and cable that will take your existing antenna. These soloutions need your antenna to be removable from the prolink and have a reverse polarity SMA connector.(very common)
click here

pete47 16:23 24 Sep 2006

Thanks Hertz - I'll give that a go.
Cheers, Pete

Input Overload 19:09 24 Sep 2006

Try positioning the router upstairs.

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:59 25 Sep 2006

Seems to be a desktop thing, as my Sony VAIO picks up "good" signal 80 feet away down the garden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?