Wireless connection without router

Zorgalite 16:34 08 Sep 2007

I read here, click here
that you can set up a wireless connection just using a network adaptor card (802.11b/g)which is cheaper than buying a router. As I already have a wired connection via adsl usb modem for my desktop, and have just purchased a laptop, I think this would suit me just fine. But the question is, does it have to be any special card or will any 802.11b wireless card do, as I have seen some very cheap ones on ebay (circa £10-£15)such as this- cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-802-11b-LAN-PCI-Card-WiFi-Network-Desktop-PC_W0QQitemZ110167478217QQihZ001QQcategoryZ45001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Any help appreciated.

Strawballs 20:45 08 Sep 2007
  Zorgalite 00:43 09 Sep 2007

Yes thats really helped (not). I was asking for some reassurance that it will work with that set up.
Your reply did not help, although somehow I'm sure I'm missing something and i'm sure you really did intend to help. Who knows?

Ashrich 11:56 09 Sep 2007

As long as the two PC's are not too far away you can use two wireless network adapters , one on each machine and set up an AD HOC network , anything will do , but save your money and just buy 2 cheap 802.11b adapters as wireless ad hoc can't run any faster that 11MBPS anyway , just make sure than ICS ( internet connection sharing is enabled on the main machine and that it is always running and connected to the internet for it to work .

Ashley

Zorgalite 20:46 09 Sep 2007

Thanks for reply Ashrich.
But would I need two adapters? The laptop has built in wireless capability, so I thought I would only have to install one on the desktop, and that would be it.
Hope you can clear this up. Thanks.

Ashrich 21:05 09 Sep 2007

If the laptop has one built in then that is fine , just get one for the desktop , they'll still only run at 11MBPS though .

Ashley

Strawballs 21:20 09 Sep 2007

Had you bothered to read the link then yes you would find that it will work but as Ashrich said using 802.11b it will work very slowly and not at all securely because cards that old would not support any decent encryption

Zorgalite 22:18 09 Sep 2007

Strawballs. I didn't mean to seem ungreatfull for your reply. But in case you hadn't noticed, you posted the exact same link as I had included in my opening post. I HAD bothered to read it even before I thought about posting the question. It was that I was just not sure how well it would work and wondered if anyone else had any experience of this type of setup (After all, it's sometimes a different story reading about something in an article, and actually putting it in to practice).
Thanks for the (later) reply. That was the kind of info I was after. Regards

Strawballs 22:29 09 Sep 2007

Sorry must admit I didn't notice that link and sorry for any offence caused.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?