Wireless Connection Status, How to change Activity

powerless 18:07 09 Jan 2004

When I double click the two blinking icons for my connection on my wireless network. Under "Activity" i'm shown "Packets" then the sent and recieved packets.

Just a little thing; i prefer to see Bytes which have been sent and recieved.

Can you change the Activity from Packets to Bytes?

Forum Editor 18:27 09 Jan 2004

in which case the answer's no, you can't. Your network is sending its data in packets. All networks (including the Internet) break data into packets - this page was sent to your machine in packets.

A packet is simply a word for a number of bytes. The file that you want to send is broken down into a series of - you guessed it - and sent across the network. All packets are made up of three segments - a header, a payload, and a trailer. The packets contain a number in the header (amongst other things) and when they reach a computer the header and trailer are removed, and the data payload is reassembled, using the number sequence that's contained in the packets' headers.

A typical packet would be around 1000 to 1500 bytes, depending on network configuration.

Is that of any help?

powerless 18:47 09 Jan 2004

Yes Windows XP, hmm well i'd need a calculator to do a packets to bytes.

OH well, just have to get used to it.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?