Wireless connection to someone else's router

allypally 13:04 16 Oct 2007

I have been trying to get broadband via my landlords' router. I've installed a Belkin card & software, and the landlords (who live in the same building) say I should be able to connect to their wired connection. But it doesn't work! Do I need some code or something from the landlords?
I'd appreciate any help, as I'm a flood victim - which is why I'm in this temporary accommodation - and cannot function without my broadband!!!
Thanks

woodchip 13:09 16 Oct 2007

Wired Connection means you need to connect with a Ethernet Cable. Do you mean Wireless?

allypally 13:25 16 Oct 2007

I am pretty sure that the landlord, who lives above me, is geared up for laptops to receive wireless broadband all over the building, via whatever router they have. It certainly works for them, as they get broadband on their laptops all over the place, and they've said it should work for me, but it doesn't! As far as I know, they have all the right equipment and have told me all I need is to install a card, which I've done. Any more suggestions? Many thanks!

woodchip 13:28 16 Oct 2007

You need to have a Wireless card in your Computer, You also need the SSID and Encryption key to connect with to put in you wireless card software. The key may be enough

woodchip 13:29 16 Oct 2007

Just a point Go to Networks in Control Panel. Ckick show networks If it asks for key type admin it may work

allypally 13:35 16 Oct 2007

Thanks for all your help, Woodchip. When you say I should key in encryption and SSID etc., is that something I should get off the landlord? And where do I input the info, if that's the case?

woodchip 13:44 16 Oct 2007

Yes if admin will not work as the key. You need to get them of landlord

woodchip 13:48 16 Oct 2007

You have to go to Control Panel Network Connections and double click on the icon. it should then show any networks that are visible double click on the network

allypally 14:06 16 Oct 2007

I shall try all you say, and many thanks once again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?