WIRELESS CONNECTION SECURITY PROB.

Ben_uk 16:02 07 Jul 2009

I have a Netgear Wireless Router for my Cable net connection with Virgin. I have never been able to understand Netgear's security instructions so having been chancing using it unsecured. I've just found that a neighbour has been using my connection and causing problems. The problems are sorted,and I'm now using my HP G70 Laptop connected directly to the modem for security, this makes life awkward particularly as I'm disabled and housebound. My question is can I ignore the Netgear router instructions and just follow the Windows Vista wizard which seems a lot easier to follow.
I'm probably being very thick but really can't get my head around Netgears security setting instructions.

woodchip 16:06 07 Jul 2009

You need to go into the Setup Page of the router to Enable Security right the Encryption key and user down to use on the computer when it asks for it

Ashrich 16:29 07 Jul 2009

Did you disable the wireless section of your router when you connected by cable ? Otherwise everyone and his dog can still use it .

Netgear routers are easy to set up , just open your internet browser and type in to the address bar 192.168.0.1 and press enter , this will take you to the login page , the user name is admin , the password is password . Press enter again , you will get to the set up wizard , go through the motions ( humour the wizard ) and it will eventually take you to the wireless security page .
There are 3 options , no security ( not good ) WEP ( nearly but not quite no good ) and WPA ( best there is for now ) select WPA encryption and either think of a good long word or phrase with no breaks in it ( longer the better , generally ) and make a note of it somewhere , enter it in to the box on the page and then save your settings .

Shut down your browser , disconnect the cable from the router and turn your wireless adapter on . Open Vista's Network and Sharing Centre and on the left hand side there will be a line saying " Manage Wireless Networks , find the profile for your Netgear , highlight it and click on delete , this will then enable you to connect to it correctly . Vista will tell you that wireless networks are available , double click on that message , select your Netgear , and click on " connect " , it will ask you for the word or phrase you entered into the router ( you did write it down didn't you ! ) type that in EXACTLY as you did in the router , and then click on connect , that should get you up and running securely and wirelessly . The security key will be remembered by Vista so you don't have to keep entering it all the time .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone