wireless connection & security

highside 17:33 30 Jan 2007

Help please, just connected up a new D link router (I only want to use my laptop in different roos at home - no networking as such required and no other PC in use) It works fine but only when connected to the networke idented as "Default not secure" The other choice is a secure network called "Home" but this has very low unusable signal strength. What are the security issues, are they of someone close by snooping on the RF signal? Also, another perhaps silly question - will my normal AV etc still apply while using the computer on wireless ? I have NTL Broadband and net guard. If using the computer normally with the ethernet cable connected to it and the wireless switch turned off is it OK, from a security point of view, to leave the wireless box in circuit as everything still works in that configuration?
Thanks for looking.

Rtus 17:47 30 Jan 2007

When I installed one of these last year for daughter it had a guide ,to basic wifi /secure wifi settings ,cant remember how but vague it was in the software disc! think we had to use a flash drive /floppy for transfer settings ,but not sure however dlink have help forum, try find it >

Rtus 17:51 30 Jan 2007

not dlink but may help
click here

Rtus 19:45 30 Jan 2007

Sorry my post of 17;51 should have read ....I will try and find it for you .

brundle 19:46 30 Jan 2007

Yes your AV will work.
Guide to wireless security; click here

highside 17:16 02 Feb 2007

Many thanks for the replies and links - got a better idea now.

Strawballs 18:41 02 Feb 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?