Wireless connection problems

Scubaman 09:31 23 Apr 2010

Hi folks,
I have recently installed a router to wireless my Dell Latitude D520 laptop. I have installed a Belkin 802.11g wireless notebook card and all looks fine on the laptop... my wireless is switched on via Fn and F2, and it shows in Network Connections that Wireless Network Connection 4 in connected but I can't connect to the internet. For some reason it doesn't seem to comminicate with my hardwired desktop PC. I'm Running Win XP Svc Pack 3. Have I missed something obvious?

birdface 09:46 23 Apr 2010

Scubamans old thread.

click here

Not having a lot of luck Scubaman lets hope someone will be able to help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 23 Apr 2010

"I can't connect to the internet. For some reason it doesn't seem to communicate with my hard-wired desktop PC"

1. you do not need to communicate with the wired desktop to connect to the internet.

Can you connect to the router? what make and model of wireless router?

2. to connect the two machines one wireless and one wired via the router you need to first of all be sure both machines connect to the router, both machines are in the same "workgroup" (homegroup for Win7) and you have sharing enable for folders (drives) on each machine.

Lets get No1 sorted first and the laptop connected to the internet

T0SH 10:13 23 Apr 2010

Your wireless card in your laptop connects and communicates wirelessly with your router not your PC

for an easy method of setting up a local area network get a 7 day trial version of network magic from here

click here

install it to both machines and use it to set up your network once everything is working to your satisfaction you can then uninstall the trial software or if you want buy the licence for the full version

Cheers HC

Scubaman 14:42 23 Apr 2010

Phew, OK I now have a connection, I wiped everything off both PC's and started from scratch, three times!! The only problem I have now is that when I try and enable WPA encryption everything goes belly up, hence three clean restores. I have tried using Network Magic Pro to configure wireless protection but it is not available nor is Network Lock, should it be? Can someone point me in the right direction. Off for a coffee!!
Scubaman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:48 23 Apr 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache