Wireless connection problems

EARLR 12:52 11 Jan 2007

I have set up wireless connections (ad hoc) between my 2 laptops. However when I try to connect to the internet, via host comp. zone alarm blocks other comp.
Any ideas?
thanks

recap 13:15 11 Jan 2007

Configure Zonealarm to allow laptop2 through (IP address). click here for a step by step guide on how to do this, scroll to just after half way down the page.

EARLR 14:43 11 Jan 2007

Tried that but still cannot connect to internet from other using Firefox in host comp. zone alarm blocks access.
any ideas
thanks

Dipso 15:21 11 Jan 2007

The official line is, Zonealarm free (I presume that is what you have), doesn't support Internet Connection Sharing. That doesn't mean it can't be done but don't expect any help from ZoneLabs.

I managed it after following a post on the Zone Labs forum but it was swiftly deleted. It seems Zone Labs prefer you to buy the Pro product in order to do this. It is possible to set it up but it's a bit fiddly and involves a lot of extra configuration and you have to reduce internet zone slider to medium to allow access.

I have since got a router which makes things a lot easier. Some of the other free firewalls are said to support ICS.

Dipso 21:54 11 Jan 2007

They've even made a sticky telling you this now...click here

Ashrich 23:17 11 Jan 2007

Sygate , either 5.5 or 5.6 does , and it does it well , it is no longer in production after Symantec bought it , but is still available for free download .

Ashley

Spark6 23:28 11 Jan 2007

Postings

ForestChav 01:37 12 Jan 2007

Sygate can, you can get it from oldversion.com.

Kerio and Comodo are also rather good.

EARLR 09:55 12 Jan 2007

Guess I will to use my wireless router to access the net on that comp.
Can I use the "ad hoc" to import my address book from office 2003?

Dipso 14:04 12 Jan 2007

Importing the address book shouldn't be a problem but is there a reason why you can't set up the network using the router rather than usuing ad-hoc?

EARLR 14:31 12 Jan 2007

I donĀ“t have a wireless router setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone