wireless connection problem

bigdavey 11:53 26 Sep 2010

My XP netbook connects to my virgin broadband via wireless router, and claims signal strength is excellent, and won't open any web pages!
my son's laptop connects to the same network by the same router and has no problem.
i can connect my netbook to a local unsecured wireless network, and it works no problem!
so, my problem must be something to do with protocol, it's between my netbook and the virgin router....?
thanks for any help....i have wasted half a day speaking to virgin helpline muppets!!!.....

FreeCell 12:13 26 Sep 2010

Could be your DNS settings.

If you type click here does it take you to a Yahoo Answers page?

If so then it is DNS settings that are giving you a problem with accessing web sites. (DNS translates the words "Yahoo Answers" into the physical IP address for the site (the number above)

bigdavey 12:19 26 Sep 2010

thank you, yes, it does take me to a Yahoo answers page!! but what can i do about it??

woodchip 12:27 26 Sep 2010

My guess is Encryption key needs loading

mgmcc 15:53 26 Sep 2010

>>> it does take me to a Yahoo answers page!! but what can i do about it??

Go into the router's configuration pages, by typing its IP address into your web browser. In the Status page you should see details of the DNS Server addresses allocated by your ISP. Make a note of those.

Now, in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

In the TCP/IP Properties sheet that opens, click the option to "Use the following DNS Server addresses" and enter those you made a note of. DON'T alter the IP addresses above. Click OK through the open boxes and see if that sorts it.

If you connect to a different router and network, you may have to revert to obtaining the DNS server addresses automatically.

bigdavey 19:04 27 Sep 2010

thanks very much, all i need to do is determine my routers IP adddress, and I should be fine with that...now where will i find that IP addressd??
cheers

dave

mgmcc 20:34 27 Sep 2010

>>> all i need to do is determine my routers IP adddress

Go to "Start > Run", type...

cmd.exe /k ipconfig /all

...and click OK (note the spaces). This will open a Command Prompt window and display details of all network in the PC. Look for the Default Gateway address and that is the Router's IP address.

mgmcc 20:36 27 Sep 2010

"details of all network in the PC."

That should read:

details of all network ADAPTERS in the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?