Wireless connection problem.

avenell79 20:25 12 Mar 2007

I am trying to add a new Vista PC to my XP pro PC. When I try and connect the new Vista PC to my XP machine I get an error message saying "Wireless connection failed because the network denied the association request from this computer." I am using a 3com router and a new Belkin network adapter which is Vista ready. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks

Ashrich 20:52 12 Mar 2007

Firewalls are the first place to start , assuming you have both PC's using the same network group and have files/folders ready for sharing . Try temporarily disabling the firewalls to see if it makes any difference , also make sure you are logged in as Administrator on both .

Ashley

mgmcc 11:41 13 Mar 2007

It sounds as though you are trying to connect the Vista PC directly to the XP PC in an "Ad Hoc" wireless network, instead of connecting it to the router.

Both computers should connect only to the router for both their internet and Local Area Network access.

avenell79 21:02 14 Mar 2007

I have turned off the firewalls on both PC and I am connecting the Vista PC directly to the XP PC, and I am still unable to connect and the same error message keeps on coming back. Does anyone know if I need to change the settings on my router? Or has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks

mgmcc 08:09 15 Mar 2007

<<< I am connecting the Vista PC directly to the XP PC, and I am still unable to connect and the same error message keeps on coming back >>>

If you are trying to connect the Vista PC directly to the XP PC in an "Ad Hoc" wireless network while the XP PC is connected in an "Infrastructure" network to the router's Wireless Access Point, it isn't going to work! Both wireless network adapters need to be set up to connect to "Ad Hoc" networks.

Why would you want to connect the two computers directly instead of networking them via the router, which is the conventional method?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?