Wireless connection ok but can't access Internet

splinternet 10:23 14 Feb 2009

I have Sky BB. One of my laptops suddenly won't connect to the Internet even though the wireless adapter shows I'm connected to the router with signal strength 'good'. If tried 'repair' to no avail, plus rebooting a couple of times.

mgmcc 11:53 14 Feb 2009

Try deleting the existing "profile" that has been saved so that you connect automatically when the network is available, and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again. You'll be prompted to enter any WEP/WPA security key and, once connected, a new profile will be saved.

If using Windows' own software to manage your wireless networking, for details about removing the existing profile click here

splinternet 00:46 15 Feb 2009

Hi mgmcc, tried that, makes no difference. The laptop appears to connect ok to the router, but then will not connect to the Internet.

User-1229748 04:21 15 Feb 2009

if using internet explorer try a reset by going tools-internet options-advanced-reset

mgmcc 09:33 15 Feb 2009

>>> The laptop appears to connect ok to the
>>> router, but then will not connect to the
>>> Internet.

Does the Laptop have its correct IP address from the Router - a 192.168.x.x address?

To check this, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC, including their IP addresses.

splinternet 10:12 15 Feb 2009

I think I may have solved it by altering the channel no. in the router setup.

KremmenUK 14:45 16 Feb 2009

But surely the channel No only affects the PC/laptop to Router connection and not the Internet connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017