Wireless connection not picking up internet

Crankie 12:28 13 Aug 2006

Hi there,
I,m not very comp savvy but i have successfully installed/setup a wireless connection on my main computer and one other computer in the hse, but cannot sort on 3rd computer. I have installed the wireless adapter on the 3rd comp, and it has a good signal, but its saying that altho it has a good connection to main router it cannot pick up the internet !! ??
WHY ???
The other adapter connected no problem, picked up signal, found router & internet, sorted!!!
But not this one, Its driving me insane!!
i have unistalled it, and re-installed it incase i did something wrong, but now i have no idea where to start finding out why it cannot pick up the internet.
Any ideas folks??

Kind Regards Crankie.x

Crankie 12:36 13 Aug 2006

Adding to the above :
Ive got a linksy system.
Router working fine & 1 x adapter working fine on upstairs comp. But 2nd adapter not picking up internet on 3rd upstairs comp.

(incase it not make sense in above, coz I dont feel like i'm making sense I'm so stresssssssssed out with all this!!!!)

C.x

mgmcc 12:41 13 Aug 2006

With the "problem" computer, have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network. Also, if you have WEP or WPA encryption enabled, you will need to enter the key in the adapter's settings in order to be able to "Connect".

Crankie 13:10 13 Aug 2006

I ran the software to enable installation of the adapter. When i scanned for 'available wireless networks' only one came up so i high lighted that one & connected to it.

Crankie 13:13 13 Aug 2006

What is WEP & WPA ???
Also its showing a very good connection, and that the adapter is working and enabled.
But just no internet connection found

FelixTCat 13:37 13 Aug 2006

Crankie,

Do you have a firewall on the problem pc? If so, disable it and try the connection again.

Regards,

Felix

Crankie 14:07 13 Aug 2006

Disabled the firewall, and re-installed the adapter. Still no internet connection.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!

Crankie 14:13 13 Aug 2006

What does this mean :
There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.
What is this difference? we have a v.good connection.
And this :
Also, if you have WEP or WPA encryption enabled, you will need to enter the key in the adapter's settings in order to be able to "Connect".

What Key ? & where in the settings wud i do this?

ade.h 14:21 13 Aug 2006

Definitions of encryption: click here and scroll down.
Linksys security click here
Hope that helps you some.

FelixTCat 14:29 13 Aug 2006

Crankie,

On the problem pc have you set the wireless adapter in ad-hoc mode?

Regards,

Felix

Crankie 14:32 13 Aug 2006

whats ad hoc mode and where do i do this ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?